Thursday, March 22

On point

Thanks to Pinterest.com (my latest addiction), I found this really great photography project: The Ballerina Project.

 Honolulu native, photographer Dane Shitagi, moved to New York City in the mid-nineties as he was drawn to the sights and energy the large city had to offer. Using only traditional photographic film, Shitagi is fulfilling his dream of photographing professional dancers, specifically ballerinas, within the urban landscape of the city (or a few in the beautiful Hawaiian landscape). His biography from the project's website reads, "Rather than molding his ideas to the studio setting, he has taken his creativity and inspiration from the world outside – preferring the rawness and atmosphere that only a living city can bring."


 

I have always thought ballet was beautiful. Of course, I have yet to see an actual performance (hint, hint...), but as an art person, I love the lines of their body, the gracefulness of their movements, the dedication to their craft as artists. It's so romantic and idealized.

 
"Crafted over the span of ten years, the Ballerina Project is not “dance photography”, but an etching of a ballerinas heart and emotions," says Shitagi. I really enjoy the juxtaposition of the tranquil linear body lines against the business of the urban city backdrop. The dancers' quiet, concentrated demeanor makes me feel calm and focused. The photographs are just very beautiful.

But, I may have a biased opinion as someone who adores art and dance. 

If you "like" the project's page on Facebook, you can receive daily updates of new photographs.

They're worth it.


No comments:

Post a Comment