Friday, July 23

Maybe the dogs follow us because we smell bad...

Seriously, we have made quite a few canine companions on this trip. They just like to follow us everywhere.

We are currently in Crete! We took the over night ferry (read: cruise ship)- air conditioned with two plush seats to ourselves each. We took advantage of this space and passed out cold to let our overly tired and sore bodies recooperate. When we docked, we were met with bad news: We wouldn't be able to get a connecting ferry to Santorini for two days. We're bummed. But, Elise and I have both agreed to cut the beautiful island out of our trip and go straight to Rome. We are enjoying Greece a lot, however, it reminds us of an European version of Mexico and we would rather move on than spend more time here. So, today we are exploring Crete. Next stop is Analipsi church, lunch, stick our feet in the Mediterranean Sea and hop back on the over night ferry to Athens to fly to Rome. It's an unexpected and expensive change of plans, but we are both really excited to be heading to Italy.

So far, we have met some very helpful people who have been HUGE lifesavors in helping us navigate around the city. With the exception of the ice princess yesterday, people have been at least helpful even if they don't smile back when we say thank you. Not knowing ANY Greek at all makes travel here tiresome and frustrating. Thankfully, almost everyone we have asked questions from, even random people on the street, have been able to speak a little English. Greek is impossibvle to read. We can't even guess what something says because their alphabet looks like heiroglyphics with sounds to accompany them. It is very humbling! I wish I was fluent in another language more than ever- maybe not Greek, but Italian would be nice...

Other news/ Interesting facts we have learned:
- I had the best strawberry ice cream I have ever had in my life yesterday
- Pedestrains do NOT have the right away no matter how small the car or scooter is
- English mustard has a crap-ton of horseraddish in it. Gross.
- European women like to wear overalls or SUPER thin linen pants with differently colored underwear to show through

I just tried to post pictures and can't figure it out yet. I'll try again soon.

Hope all is well with you!

4 comments:

  1. Sounds like you ladies are having fun. Greek is now a must see place for myself. I imagine this being written on everything:

    ρ{δϝ/δt + ϝ*Δϝ} = -Δθ + μ*Δ^2 + φ

    Simply awesome

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just got the link to your blog from your mom. It's great to hear about your adventures (although we'll miss you for the final days of "The Bachelorette"). Be safe, have fun, and we all look forward to reading more of your adventures, and hopefully seeing some pictures if you can figure out how to download them. YOU"RE ACTUALLY LIVING YOUR DREAM...lucky girl!

    ReplyDelete
  3. overalls,huh. see-through pants, huh. what decade is it over there? Keep the details coming! MOM

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kali, gabe contacted me and wants to be sure you have her address and phone number. Let me know. MOM. P.S. I am sending her the link to your blog.

    ReplyDelete