Monday, August 16

I TOLERATE YOU!...OPEN THE CHEESE!

I love Amsterdam! [insert any and all inappropriate jokes about pot and ladies of the night here to get them out of your system now. I'll wait......]

But, really, Amsterdam was great. Getting to Amsterdam was not so great however. We dragged our feet about leaving Gabi's because it was just too wonderful that we didn't want to leave! Gabi came home from work and baked the wonderful struedel and then we talked for hours on the patio with coffee and then all of a sudden it was dinner time and Gabi made the most delicious salad for us and before we knew it, it was 8pm. So, we didn't get to see Munich at all, well, excpet for the train station. When we tried to get on the overnight train to Amsterdam, we couldn't. The train was full, unfortunately for us, so we then spent the next 20 hours on the train station floor for a long nap and then various trains to get us to the Netherlands. But, we made it! In the rain of course, because it doesn't seem to want to let up. On top of that, the first hostel we checked out was full, so we then had to book two nights in the crappiest hostel ever. And it wasn't even a good price. However, with the rain and it being a Thursday night in a busy, touristy city, we took what we could get. We tried not to think of the nicer, possibly available hostel directly across the street with pretty linens and spacious bedrooms and windows because then we just get frustrated and feel jiped. Oh well, we were hardly in the room at all...

We spent our first night exploring the most controversial part of town: The Red Light District. I'm sure all of your imaginations are running wild right now, but, no, there wasn't anything sleezy or scandalous about it. It's really nice part of town. I cannot prove this to you, because I was told I wasn't allowed to take pictures or else I would be chased down by one of the women and my camera would be smashed. They appreciate anonymity. We crawled into bed late and feel alseep immediately from a full day worth of travel. Really, we aren't having any trouble sleeping because we are so tired by the end of the day, that a tornado could rip through town and we wouldn't budge we are so dead to the world.

The next morning, I went on the free walking tour of the city while Elise slept in and then wandered the city herself. I really like the walking tours because: A. they're free! B. I meet really nice people; C. I learn a ton about the city. This one was no different. The only difference was it started to rain in the middle of it so we ducked into a cafe to wait out the rain and dry off. The city is so great! I love their philosophy of tolerance and practicality. The tour guide kept stressing the fact that the Dutch are really tolerant, accepting people with a cheesey sense of humor and love practicality and efficency. I think I was meant to live in Amsterdam. I learned a lot on the tour and I am very glad I made it- I almost slept though it, despite the rain.

I met back up with Elise and our roommate from CA for lunch. We tried the Dutch speciality kroket which was yummy even though it looked like a twinkie. Next, we went to the Van Gogh Musuem where I basically reached Nirvana. We all enjoyed it very much! Elise was glad to have bright colors and vivid brushstokes to look at instead of the boring, repeatitive Vigin and Child motif we keep seeing (and I was glad too!). It was a very nice museum and I would go back in a heart beat. It was worth the hefty enterance fee for sure!

That evening, after walking though a pretty park (and Elise making us stop to watch these 2 masters of frisbee throw flicks) we got a pancake dinner (Dutch specialty) with our roommate and then Elise and I cashed in our tickets to see BOOM Chicago, the improv/sketch comedy troope. It was pretty entertaining much to America's expense. All of the comedians were American, and they threw in some Dutch insults too, but really, America took the short end of the stick- it was funny :) We wrapped up the night at a coffee shop and went to bed so we could check out early the next day. All-in-all, I loved the city. It is beautiful with tall, crooked houses that line the canals (Fact: Amsterdam has more canals than Venice) and large trees that make for picturesque views. I could have stayed a little longer to see the inside of Anne Franke's house rather than just the outside of it, but I guess that means I'll just have to go back to Amsterdam again and hopefully soon.

Now, we are in Paris!! For me, it has always been about Paris. When planning this trip, all I could think about was wandering the streets of Paris beneath flower pots on windowsills above me and climbing the 700 steps to the top of the Eiffle Tower. And now that I am here, it has not disappointed me at all. It has rained non stop since we arrived and it's way cold, but I can not seem to wipe the smile off my face. I am in Paris and it's fantastic!

We are staying at a pretty big hostel with tons of beds. It's not what you would call quaint, but Elise really loves sleeping in her 'cave' with the curtain drawn shut to block out the light and give privacy. But, it is right next to the Metro station and therefore we have free range of the city! After we dropped off our stuff, we basically ran to the Eiffle Tower to see it all light up at night. It was so romantic and impressive- it's huge! We were there at midnight, so we got to see the lightshow as the entire tower started to twinkle. People were hanging out on the lawn and singing along to a (bad) musician and it was so great. I was soaking it all in!

Our first official full day in Paris was drenched in rain. With our hideous and giant ponchos, we kept dry while we waited in line for the Louvre. Yes, I said the Lourve. The line moved swiftly and then I was ushered into Heaven as I was surrounded by classic art and history. I could have easily spent the two weeks it takes to see every item in the museum, so Elise and I split up with a plan to meet back up in 2 hours. We did the Lourve on speed. I saw everythig I was supposed to see (Mona Lisa, Winged Victory, Venus di Milo) along with everyone and their dead third cousin! Seriously, because it's Paris in the summer and because of the rain, it was PACKED! None the less, I didn't care- I spent most of my time walking though the many rooms of Roman sculpture. I was completely overwhelmed with awe. I just love art and I know that I have to spend the rest of my life surrounded by it somehow. Elise feels differenly for sure and is a little museumed out. Maybe I can convince her to see the Pompidou Center tomorrow though...

Next on the list: we walked down the Champs Elysee- the beautiful street from the center of Paris to the Arc de Triomphe. We stopped in the beautiful park to cry over how wonderfully delicious our crepes were first, and then continued on. Yes, we walked with our puffy panchos in the rain, but whatever, it keeps us dry and we are not the only tourists looking ridiculous. I can't wait for it to stop raining! I was more impressed with the Lourve, but the arc was pretty cool too, I guess :) Walking the opposite direction down Champs Elysee, we walked towards a large, impressive building with a large gold dome in the center thinking it would be a neat building to roam around only to discover that it was a museum for the French army. So not our thing. Very disappointing. Moving on, we found the Metro to take us back to the hostel to defrost and rest up before dinner.

We hopped on the Metro for a few stops to take us to the Moulin Rouge. Also, slightly disspointed. We thought it would be bigger from all of the hype we had heard. The windmill is still impressive to see all lit up at night. We walked around the area for a little bit looking for a sushi place for dinner. Apparently, Paris loves it some sushi and we had an excellent dinner of 'Funky Rolls'- a variety of rolls that were all delicious! The area of town that we walked around was so quaint and screamed Paris even at 10 at night in the rain. It's the area where Picasso and Matise would hang out to be inspired, if that says anything about how wonderful it is. We had Heaven served on a plate in the form of dessert french toast with ice cream paired with a glass of wine in one of the cutest cafes I have ever seen, paired with great conversation. I am so glad Elise and I are here together- we're having a great time! I can not stress how much we are loving Paris, especially after a day like this.

Today, day 2 in Paris, we planned to go to Versailles, but it is closed on Mondays, so we headed to the Notre Dame instead. I expected the outside facade to be bigger with gargoyles everwhere and very impressive, but the inside was more impressive than its outer walls. I loved the stained glass and the chandeliers- it was very nice, indeed. We stopped to get another delicious crepe in another adorable cafe because we can't gt enough of them. We have ruined ourselves by coming to Europe and tasting how food should taste- we will never be satisfied with food in the States again... After passing by the monument of Bastille, we went back to the Eiffle Tower to make reservations for Altitude 58 on the first floor for dinner and then stopped by the Pompidou Center to take a picture because I am a nerd. However, seeing the outside only makes me want to go inside even more and without needing any convincing for either one of us, we decided to stay an extra night in Paris so we can cram in even more sightseeing and museums! I think this is the best decision I have ever made. I am very excited to see more modern art in Paris tomorrow!!

But, first: dinner on the Eiffle Tower! We went back to the hostel to clean up and put on a dress for our date night. Elise even washed her hair and shaved her legs for me! (She hasn't showered since Gabi's house... 5 days ago...) We were very excited to be eating on top of the Tower at a restaurant that had more than one fork at the table setting with multiple courses! Of course, dinner was delicious. I had duck for this first time and while it was tasty, I don't think I will ever have to eat it again- too weird of a texture for me-bleh. But, the evening was wonderful and I think we were the last people out of the restaurant; we stayed and enjoyed ourselves so long with champange and conversation. Day two was a huge success and I don't ever want to leave here.

I am sorry I have writen a novel for you all to read and I can't even add pictures to go along with it. We have had an eventful past few days we wanted to share with you all. Hope you enjoy reading my ramblings. I just sit at the computer and start typing to beat the running clock timing the pricy internet. Plus, we have been using 'dumbed' down English to communicate with people so we can actually reach an understanding with non-Engligh speakers, so my vocabulary has been significantly reduced to basic descriptions that I use repeatedly. Sorry for the constant use of 'wonderful' and 'delicious', but really, those are the best words my brain can think of right now because it is in a Paris coma and I can't see anything past this afternoon because I am too busy loving everything!

Hope all is great at home. Miss you all and can't wait to tell you everything in person.

10 comments:

  1. Love hearing about your adventures. Rain, food, art. And I'm sure Elise appreciates the post about no shower for 5 days, too. Thanks for keeping us glued to the computer waiting for the next post. Until then, love you two.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Everything sounds fabulous! I am so jealous of your amazing adventure. And I'm super glad Elise showered for you (does she know you wrote that ;-) ) I love you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Haha I did notice this because I try to proof read the posts before Kali posts them. In my defense, the way we were traveling did not always allow for a shower (like sleeping in a train station) and the one in Amsterdam would have made me feel dirtier for showering in it. Ha plus, my hair didn't look bad and I didn't smell. It did not seem so bad, I swear:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. You both are living the life so throw showers to the wind. That's why god invented perfume. Or just dab some crepes behind your ears! Less than a week left... :>(

    ReplyDelete
  5. Did you know the Mona Lisa was stolen from the Louvre in 1911? It turned up two years later in Italy. Looking forward to hearing all about your trip.

    ReplyDelete
  6. wait, so u never made it Versaille??

    ReplyDelete
  7. We made it to Versaille the day after this was written. It was HUGE!
    Mom: I had no idea, that is very interesting.
    -Elise

    ReplyDelete
  8. How did you know it was your mother?

    ReplyDelete
  9. God, girl you so just made me want to go right back to Paris. That is awesome, now this time I gotta go to the Louvre since you described all the amazing things about it! You're blessed lady. Keep up the travels, its always worth it to see the world so, you can share all those stories with your children!

    Oriel Martin

    ReplyDelete
  10. I hope you get this even though you've been back for awhile now. I am just reading this for the first time as I slacked on keeping up with my two travelin friends' blog... I just had to comment on this Paris post as this is the only city that I have been that you're adventures have taken you to! And I loved every moment of this "novel" post of yours :) I also LOVED PARIS and wish to return as I didn't get to do nearly as much as I wanted, such as Versailles. But I also did the Louvre on speed-sad I couldn't spend all day but worth it anyhow. Well I hope we can see each other soon so I can hear about it in person and get some Kali time since it has been too long.

    ReplyDelete